Monday, February 24, 2014
Golda E. Ewalt, Chef/Dietitian
OSF Saint Francis Medical Center
Vegetable and Tofu Stir-Fry
12 ounces firm tofu, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1 tablespoon soy sauce (low-sodium if desired)
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons dark Asian sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3-4 cloves garlic)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 medium carrot, cut in 1/4-by-2-inch matchsticks (1 cup julienne)
1 medium red bell pepper, cut in 1/4-by-2-inch matchsticks (1 cup julienne)
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions or minced red onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro (optional)
1. Cut the tofu into 1/4-inch matchsticks and place them on paper towels. Place another paper towel on top and prepare the remaining ingredients.
2. In a small bowl or measuring cup combine the soy sauce, rice wine and the sesame oil. Combine the salt, pepper and sugar in another small bowl. Have all the ingredients within arm’s reach of your pan.
3. Heat a wok or skillet over high heat until a drop of water evaporates within a second or two when added to the pan. Swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil by adding it to the sides of the pan and swirling the pan, then add the tofu. Reduce the heat to medium and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes, until it begins to brown. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for no more than 10 seconds.
4. Swirl in the remaining oil and add the carrots, red pepper, mushrooms, and scallion or red onion. Turn the heat to high and stir-fry for 1 minute, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the salt, pepper and sugar, toss together and add the soy sauce mixture. Stir- fry for 1 to 2 minutes, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, stir in the cilantro and serve.
- Make sure to cut the carrots and red peppers into the same size thin strips so that they cook at the same rate.
- Add variety to this dish by using different types of vegetables
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.