These are a fun spin on traditional meatballs
that will be a hit at your next summer get together.
1 – 15 ounce can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
12 ounces extra lean ground turkey breast
2 egg whites
½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 – 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained and chopped
¼ cup grated Parmesan
2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 – 8 ounce cans no salt added tomato sauce
¼ Tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons Splenda® brown sugar blend
14 ounces fresh part-skim mozzarella cheese, cubed
28 fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mash beans in a large mixing bowl. Add turkey breast, egg whites, bread crumbs, mushrooms, Parmesan, herbs and spices. Combine well.
3. Roll into one inch balls, place on sprayed baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
4. In a small saucepan, sauté onions in olive oil for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 6-8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
5. Place meatball, mozzarella cube and basil leaf on a toothpick. Drizzle with marinara sauce.
Per 1 toothpick
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 189 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 7 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 9 g
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.