Ashley Simper, MS, RD, LDN
OSF Saint Francis Medical Center
Central Illinois Dietetic Association Media Spokesperson
Mexican Zucchini Fritters
A delicious way to get more veggies!
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 medium yellow squash, grated
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium potato, grated
½ cup corn
½ cup shredded Mexican cheese made with 2% milk
¼ cup whole wheat flour
2 large eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ Tablespoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1. Place grated vegetables in a strainer and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible.
2. Place vegetables in medium bowl, add corn and cheese and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, eggs and seasonings. Whisk to combine.
4. Add flour/egg mixture to vegetable mixture and mix well.
5. In a large skillet on medium-high heat, add 1 Tablespoon oil. Once oil is hot, place 1/3 cup fritter mixture in skillet. Repeat 3 times, spacing fritter mixture evenly apart in the skillet. Using a spatula, press to flatten. Cook on both sides for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat to cook 4 more fritters.
6. Top with light sour cream if desired.
Per 1 fritter
Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 145 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 12 g
Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 6 g
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.