It is very important to take precautions to avoid heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and dehydration. Young children, particularly infants, and older adults are extremely sensitive to heat and can easily become dehydrated and lose more body fluids than usual.
The Peoria City/County Health Department has set up cooling centers to help anyone without access to a cool environment. This is information from the Health Department.
Cooling Centers in Peoria include the following:
· Salvation Army, Sylvia Fites Center, 414 NE Jefferson, 8:30-4, M-F
· Department of Human Services (DHS), 2301 NE Adams, 8:30-5 M-F
· Friendship House, 800 NE Madison (corner of Madison & Wayne), 8:30-5
· All Peoria Fire Stations, open 24/7
· Civic Center Verizon Café (water stations, tables and chairs), 201 SW Jefferson Avenue
· Link to Cooling Centers Map for Central Illinois or see link below.
To prevent heat related injuries during hot weather, take the following measures:
· Try to stay cool, preferably in an air conditioned area.
· Wear hats and light-colored, lightweight, loose clothes.
· Limit outdoor activities and avoid vigorous physical activities in hot and humid weather.
· Take frequent breaks and drink plenty of like water, regardless of your activity level. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink.
· Avoid liquids that contain caffeine, alcohol or large amounts of sugar – they cause you to lose more body fluids.
Remember your children, neighbors and pets:
· Don't leave children, elderly, or pets inside a parked vehicle, even for a few minutes. Hotspots develop, even with the windows rolled down.
· Check in with family, friends, and neighbors who may be affected by extremely high heat.
· Take care of your pets. Give extra water and be sure to place the water dish in a shaded area if outdoors. Make sure pets have a protected place where they can get away from the sun.
· Cooling Centers throughout State of Illinois, Illinois Department of Human Services 800-843-6154.
· Map link to Central Illinois Cooling Centers. http://peoriacountygis.maps.arcgis.com/.
· Other Public Health information, Peoria City/County Health Department website www.pcchd.org.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.