Celebrating the season of strawberries these better for you muffins have less calories and fat than your typical store bought muffins!
Non-stick cooking spray
½ cup white whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons Truvia® Baking Blend
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 Tablespoons strawberry non-fat Greek yogurt
3 Tablespoons non-fat milk
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 Tablespoon Smart Balance®, melted
½ cup chopped strawberries
3 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
1 Tablespoon sugar free strawberry preserves
¼ cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spray or muffin pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, Truvia® Baking Blend, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg, almond extract, and Smart Balance®. Slowly mix wet ingredients into dry- just until fully combined. Fold in strawberries. Do NOT over-mix.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins about 2/3 full.
5. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Toothpick should come out clean.
6. To prepare frosting, mix all ingredients together in a shallow bowl. Stir until no clumps of sugar or cream cheese remain. Frost muffins with a knife once cooled.
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 135 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 22 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 5 g
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.