What do I do if I am experiencing tinnitus?

Published 02/21 2014 10:02AM

Updated 02/21 2014 10:04AM

What do I do if I am experiencing tinnitus?

o   It is not normal to experience ongoing tinnitus.

o   A team of professionals is recommended to determine whether the tinnitus is a symptom of a medically treatable disease, and then to receive appropriate medical management.  The core team members are typically  an audiologist and an ENT physician.

o   Audiologists specialize in:

o   Complete, comprehensive hearing evaluations to determine normal vs abnormal function of each part of the ear (outer, middle, inner)

o   Evaluation of the tinnitus severity and its impact on daily living

o   Tinnitus and hearing loss education

o   Audiologic Rehabilitation

o   ENT physicians specialize  in:

o   Medical evaluations of the ears and hearing, and additionally the nose and throat and their role in the cause of the tinnitus

o   Radiologic and laboratory studies

o   Medical and/or surgical management, if necessary

o   Additional team members may include counselors and other medical specialists.


Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

CIProud Workday Newsletter Sign-up