It started with a road rash and grew into something much worse.
Now, his mom is sharing what she thinks every parent should know.
A hospital room is the last place a 14-year-old wants to be spending their time, but being in a hospital room is a blessing for Quinton Lamb and his mom, Dawn.
"There was a point we thought he wouldn't make it. And he has definitely come through everything, fighting. Showed us what a tough kid he is," Dawn Morey says of her son.
A tough kid fighting a tough battle.
Quinton, got some scrapes when he wrecked his bike back in July.
"He comes home with scrapes, scratches, hanging out with his friends, riding his bike, normal," Morey explains.
He started to heal, but then in early August Quinton found out he had MRSA, a staph bacteria infection resistant to many antibiotics.
In bad cases, like Quinton's, the infection can spread to joints and lungs.
Quinton was admitted to the intensive care unit, he had to be intubated, and had multiple surgeries.
Now, his mom is encouraging all parents to keep a close eye on their kids.
"Definitely, take a look at the scrapes and scratches, if they look infected, get a second opinion. I really wouldn't have thought this could come from a scratch, a scrape.
We've gone through a lot, it will definitely make us more cautious in the future," Morey explains.
Quinton gets to leave the Children's Hospital of Illinois, tonight.
He will still have physical therapy and medication before he goes back to his freshman year of high school, but he's expected to make a full recovery.
Staphylococcus, or staph, is a bad bacteria people carry mostly in their nose and on their skin.
It can turn to MRSA, that's resistant to many antibiotics.
It's common with kids, like Quinton, who play contact sports and generally have more interaction with others.
Pediatrician George Johnson says the most important step to prevent staph is hand washing.
He encourages parents to practice good hygiene with their kids and to monitor cuts they may have.
"You don't need a substantial break in the skin to have bacteria get into your blood stream. Mosquito bites, something you don't think is potentially worrisome, provides potential for access," Dr. Johnson explains.
Dr. Johnson says MRSA infections are increasing.
Hospitals are also taking extra precautions, screening their patients for staph before their admitted.