PEORIA, Ill. (WMBD) — The COVID-19 pandemic has hurdled hundreds of thousands of Americans into unemployment, some falling victim to eviction.
On Friday, Feb. 19, 2021, community members will be asked to spend the night outside in a box or in a car from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Saturday morning. The socially distanced event will be held at the RiverPlex Recreation and Wellness Center, 600 NE Water St., Peoria. A virtual option will also be implemented this year in light of the pandemic.
Participants will experience a bit of what is it like to be homeless in the heart of central Illinois winter.
Proceeds from the overnight event will benefit Phoenix Community Development Services to provide supportive housing and outreach services to the homeless population.
Each participant is asked to raise $1,000. Registration is now open: https://secure.qgiv.com/event/gimmeshelter2021/register/
Phoenix Community Development Services is located at 202 NE Madison Ave. in Peoria.
For more information, contact Kristen Berchtold at 309-222-2751 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Biden inauguration: Trump arrives home in Florida, presidency ends
- Newsfeed Now: A historic Inauguration Day, 10-year-old CEO becomes best-selling author
- Texas man threatened to shoot his children as ‘traitors’ if they turned him in over Capitol riots, documents say
- 3 title game quarterbacks have similar draft history
- Full list: All the pardons and commutations issued by President Trump in 2021