McLean County Parks has a tremendous amount to offer! From biking and hiking, boating, camping, equine activities, fishing & hunting, photography, swimming, and of course picnicking – the Parks has all your outdoor family recreational needs!
COMLARA Park Campgrounds
Scenic COMLARA County Park campgrounds offer 144 campsites including:
ALL CAMPSITES ARE NOW RESERVABLE. We start taking reservations the first Saturday in April of 2018. THANK YOU.
or call the COMLARA Park Visitor Center at (309) 434-6770
- 94 electrified sites (Both 50 amp and 30 amp)
- 23 non-electric sites
- 11 primitive / walk-in sites in the Main Recreation Area (MRA)
- 16 primitive / walk-in sites in the White Oak Area (WOA)
- Walk-in group tent camp area at both the MRA and WOA locations
COMLARA PARK CAMPING RESERVATIONS & FEES
Reservations can be made starting the first Saturday in April In-Person,(Phone-In & Mail-In start the next Monday), for dates through October 16. A non-refundable deposit of the first night’s camping fee PLUS a separate $7.00 IN-PERSON reservation fee OR $10.00 PHONE-IN OR ON-LINE reservation fee PER SITE is required. (Reservations for an upcoming weekend cannot be made after Noon on the Thursday prior to weekend). When making a reservation over the phone, your deposit must be charged to your Visa, Mastercard, or Discover Card at that time. Reservations by mail should include name, address, phone number, and date of reservation, preferred site number, and a deposit in the form of a check or money order. Reservations can be made in-person at the Comlara Park Visitor Center during operating hours.
Biking & Hiking
Hiking & Biking Trails at Comlara Park
There are more than 10 miles of scenic trails available for biking at Comlara Park at Evergreen Lake (PDF). The park also offers two self-guided nature trails with over 40 stations.
Download a Hiking and Bike Trails Map (PDF) for off-trail bicycle riding opportunities at the Lakeview Area of Comlara Park.
You can also view Trails by using the Comlara Park interactive map.
A Relaxing & Natural Atmosphere
Evergreen Lake’s 10 horsepower limit maintains the lake’s relaxing and natural atmosphere, providing a perfect setting for fishing, sailing, and canoeing. Two dual-lane launch ramps allow for ease of access. The lake’s 900-acre size has also made it one of the most popular sailboarding lakes in Central Illinois. View the new interactive depth map of Evergreen Lake or download a printable map of Evergreen Lake (PDF).
A boat launch is conveniently located inside Comlara Park’s Main Recreation Area (MRA) next to the Evergreen Lake boat rental facility. A second launch is located in the White Oak Area (WOA) on County Road 1200E.
Evergreen Lake Watercraft Registration Required
- Annual fee – $48 (McLean County residents receive a $10 discount)
- Daily fee – $20 (McLean County residents receive a $5 discount)
View the fishing section for more information on watercraft regulations on Evergreen Lake.
About Evergreen Lake
Evergreen Lake offers a wide array of fishing challenges, including large mouth bass, small mouth bass, crappie, hybrid walleye (saugeye), muskie, white bass, bluegill, channel catfish, and flat head catfish. EVERGREEN LAKE REMAINS A 10 hp LIMIT LAKE. View the new interactive depth map of Evergreen Lake or download a printable map of Evergreen Lake (PDF).
Additional lake details include:
- Surface acres – 925 acres
- Maximum depth – 55 feet
- Average depth – 19 feet
- Shoreline miles – 22.5 miles
Evergreen Lake Bait Shop & Boat Rental
HOURS CHANGE TO BAIT SHOP/BOAT RENTAL!
The Evergreen Lake Bait Shop & Boat Rental has changed their weekday operating hours. Weekday Hours are now 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Monday-Thursday). It remain open 6-6 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Thank you.
Fishery Management Plan
In cooperation with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, the McLean County Department of Parks and Recreation has implemented an ongoing, long-term fishery management plan for Evergreen Lake. Since 1990, nearly 75,000 4-8 inch large-mouth bass, 20,000 8-11 inch pure musky, and 1,000,000 1-2 inch hybrid walleye (saugeye) have been stocked in the lake, with very good success.
EVERGREEN LAKE REGULATIONS
-Anglers must possess a valid Illinois Fishing License as REQUIRED by law.
-Anglers using boats are limited to using a 10 Horsepower (or less) motor. -Gas motors are prohibited in certain sections of Southern Portions of the Lake from Oct 15th – Jan 1st (To allow for migratory waterfowl)
No person shall take or catch any fish or aquatic life from Evergreen Lake, Jones Pond, or their tributaries by any other method than stated:
- By means of not more than: 2 Poles and line with no more than
- 2 hooks or lures attached to each (including trolling).
- By means of legal sized cast nets, which may be used to obtain the following bait (provided they are not sold): Shad, Minnows, & Crayfish
- By means of: Pitchfork, Gigs, Bow and Arrow (or their devices) for the taking of: Carp, Asian Carp, Carpsuckers, Buffalo Gar, Bowfin, and Suckers. (Except during Illinois Archery Deer Season)
- By means of a Gig for taking frogs. (Frogs may be taken in open season only).
PROHIBITED FISHING PRACTICES
-Bank Poles, Trot Lines, Bush Lines, Seining, or Jug Fishing are Prohibited.
-Swimming, Wading, and Float Fishing are prohibited.
UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED, ALL STATE OF ILLINOIS FISHING REGULATIONS WILL BE ENFORCED.
-Fishing in, below or beyond the spillway is prohibited. *Cast netting prohibited below spillway
*Asian Carp are now present in the Mackinaw River and its tributaries.
FISH SIZE REGULATIONS
The minimum size and creel limits, in addition to those stated by the Illinois statewide fishing regulations are found here.
*Required on all watercraft* (Sailboats, sailboards, canoes, and kayaks, etc.)
Registrations can be done at the COMLARA Park Visitors Center during office hours, at self-registration drop boxes located at both boat launch facilities, and online at our website.
Type of McLean County Non-County
Registration Residents Residents
Daily $15.00 $20.00
Annual $38.00 $48.00
*10 horsepower or less motor restriction
*10+ motors are allowed for loading and unloading, but must otherwise remain out of the water.
BAIT SHOP OPEN APRIL -OCT (NOW CLOSED FOR SEASON)
Hours and bait availability may vary. Please contact Visitor Center for current hours and bait availability.
Lake Closed During Deer Management Program
Friday – Sunday before Thanksgiving weekend
Thursday – Sunday after Thanksgiving weekend
SEASONAL WATERCRAFT MOORING
Dock Mooring for Boats/Canoes
$450.00 for NON-McLean County Residents & $350.00 for McLean County Residents
Mooring for Canoes/Kayaks
$75.00 for NON-McLean County Residents & $55.00 for McLean County Residents
White Tail Deer Management Hunting Program
To meet the primary mission of the McLean County Department of Parks and Recreation, management of natural resources within the parks is necessary. Today, due to the lack of natural predators, natural resource management of white tail deer herds is necessary to ensure and improve natural habitat overall.
The use of public hunting at COMLARA Park’s Evergreen Lake is recognized as an appropriate population control method. In addition, public hunting provides recreational and leisure opportunities for those that wish to participate.
Please note: Normally, seasons are announced and applications are available for archery hunting on June 1 and for shotgun hunting on July 1. Applications must be returned within 60 days.
Recent Area Deer Population
Research has documented populations at COMLARA County Park in excess of 60 deer per square mile. The ecological carrying capacity of various natural environments is 15 to 20 deer per square mile.
Without active management, the number of deer will continue to increase, possibly dramatically. The deer population levels threaten natural regeneration and environmental reclamation projects, due to browse levels.
You can also view Hunting Zones by using the Comlara Park interactive map.
Access photos taken by visitors to COMLARA County Park:
For More Information
If you have any questions, please contact the McLean County Department of Parks and Recreation at (309) 434-6770.
F.R.Glasener Beach is NOW OPEN FROM NOON-5:30 DAILY For Swimming!
COMLARA County Park offers a unique swimming beach, or what we like to call a natural water play park. Completely separated from the lake proper, 2.5 acres of water and four acres of sand beach and sun bathing area provide the perfect setting for swimming, beach volleyball, and other summer fun.
Daily Admission Charges
Fees are based on age of visitor:
- Under 6 years old – $0.50
- 6-12 years old – $3.50
- 13 years old and up – $5.00
Food and soft drinks are available at our concession stand located at Glasener Beach.
Float tubes are available for rent at our beach house at $5 per day.
Beach parties are available starting as low as $35 per hour. Parties must be scheduled at least one week in advance.
Glasener Beach also offers a giant water umbrella, a diving platform, and Lazy Lagoon areas with float tubes that are perfect for a relaxing swim.
The Pirate Cove play area includes a playground with a slide, climbing net, and other play features right on the beach.
Glasener Beach provides a concrete ramp zero-depth entry with railing for unrestricted access to the swimming area.
The McLean County Department of Parks and Recreation is proud to provide lifeguards that are regularly trained and evaluated by the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Program.
For additional information call Glasener Beach at (309) 434-6779.
Both the COMLARA County Park – Evergreen Lake and the S.H. West County Park provide picnicking for visitor enjoyment. Picnic tables are scattered throughout the parks, accompanied by grill pits. Download a map of picnic shelters and group camp areas.
Shelters are also provided and may be reserved for large groups. COMLARA Park shelters are popularly used for corporate picnics, family reunions, and other outings. Arrangements and discounts with other park activities of can be made.
Reserving Area Picnic Shelters
There are five picnic shelters located in COMLARA Park – Evergreen Lake: Maple, White Oak, Osage, Spruce, and Prairie. One picnic shelter can also be found at the S.H. West County Park (fireplace and electricity are inclusive).
Picnicking and shelters are open from sunrise to sunset. Please note: Alcoholic beverages are prohibited at County parks.
You can view Picnic Shelter photos and reservations by using the COMLARA Park interactive map.
Recreation for Individuals with Disabilities
Outdoor Recreation Opportunities
- Fishing – Evergreen Lake has three accessible floating fishing piers with accessible restrooms nearby. These sites are located in the Main Recreation Area (MRA) near the Boat Marina, at White Pines Cove, and the White Oak Area (WOA) near the boat launch. The department has installed underwater fishery attraction structures near these piers. In addition, there is an accessible fishing overlook at the pump station and also a challenge level one dock at the Deer Island Access with a hard surface access path with a 1:10 slope.
- Swimming Beach – Glasener Beach at Evergreen Lake provides a concrete accessible ramp entry into water levels. Type II personal floatation devices are also available at the beach.
- Boat Rental Marina – A hand-operated paddle boat is available, as are motorized rowboats. A fully accessible boat transfer dock with transfer box and lift are also available.
- Boat Launches – Both the Main Recreation Area boat launch and the White Oak Area boat launch have accessible courtesy docks next to the launches. These are docks which provide access to a floating pier from which individuals may transfer to a watercraft in the water.
- Camping – The developed campground facility at COMLARA County Park in the Main Recreation Area features 10 accessibility-improved sites with limestone accessible pads, elevated fire rings, and accessible picnic tables. In addition, COMLARA County Park has campsites that are exclusively reserved for campers with disabilities.
- Picnic Areas – COMLARA County Park and West County Park include accessible shelters and individual picnic sites. These locations are connected to parking areas by limestone screened paths.
- Trails – The department has a limited number of natural limestone accessible paths and trails providing access to developed areas of COMLARA Park.
- Hunting – The department offers archery / shotgun deer hunting opportunities for disabled hunters. Fully accessible paths are provided to ground blinds. An appropriate Illinois Department of Natural Resources deer tag is required to participate.
For More Information
If you have any questions, please email the McLean County Department of Parks and Recreation or call (309) 434-6770.