Birds in a Blanket
Brooke Bisping, RD, LDN
Peoria Hy-Vee Registered Dietitian
2 Bell peppers (colors of choice)
14 oz. package of reduced fat Turkey Little Smokies (HillshireFarms)
1, 8 oz. can refrigerated Reduced Fat Crescent Roll Dough
2 Tbsp Sesame seeds (white, black, or both)
2 Tbsp Chia seeds
¼ cup Nutritional yeast blend
- Preheat Oven to 350F
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Chop bell peppers into short thin slices (same length as lil’ smokies)
- Pat dry 22 turkey sausages and bell peppers slices
- Unroll Crescent dough. Combine all slices together into one rectangular sheet by pressing together at seems (optional, use rolling pin to flatten dough evenly). Feel free to cut and move uneven sides to make straight edges.
- Use pizza roller (or knife) to vertically cut dough into 22, ½ inch slices
- Roll up 1 turkey sausage with 2-3 slices of bell pepper
- Optional: roll in bowl with a topping for additional nutrition (Chia seeds, Sesame seeds, or Nutritional yeast blend)
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
Yields 22 birds in a blanket.
Nutrition information: (per pig) 48 kcals, 2g fat, 0.8g sat fat, 162mg sodium, 5.3g carbs, 0g fiber, 2.3g protein
Nutritional yeast blend: Combine ¼ cup nutritional yeast, ½ tsp chili pepper flakes, ¼ tsp black pepper, and ½ tsp garlic powder in bowl. Adjust amount of chili pepper for desired spice level.
Sweet & Spicy mustard dip:
1/2 cup yellow mustard
3 Tbsp ketchup
¼ tsp hot sauce (add more to increase spiciness)
3 Tbsp honey
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp ground black pepper
Mix ingredients together and enjoy with the pigs!