Easter Egg Hunt Carrot Cake
All you need:
- 1 ½ cup flour (all purpose, whole wheat, gluten free)
- Spice mix (3 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger, ¼ tsp nutmeg, ¼ tsp cloves)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 (20oz can crushed pineapple)
- ¼ cup walnuts (if desired)
- Easter egg hunt top: unsweetened coconut flakes, green food coloring, almond M&M’s)
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8×8 pan with nonstick spray.
- In electric mixer, beat eggs until thickened (about 2 minutes). Slowly add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, spice mix, baking powder and soda until well blended.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in applesauce and oil until just blended.
- Add flour mixture and beat until just blended.
- Stir in pineapple, carrots and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Making the Easter Egg Hunt
- In bag or container, toss coconut with green food coloring until coconut is dyed green. Sprinkle on top of baked carrot cake. Gently place Easter eggs in desired formation on the “grass.”