Gluten-Free Mini Cherry Pie
All you need for the crust:
- 2 cups gluten free flour*
- 1 cup cold smart balance margarine
- ½ cup ice cold water
*If you do not need to eat gluten-free, you can use this same recipe and substitute regular flour.
All you need for filling:
- 4 ½ cups pitted Northwestern cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
All you do:
- The most important tip, *Keep dough, filling, and prepared crust COLD as long as possible before baking.
- The crust: Cut cold margarine into flour. Mix ice cold water into flour mixture until dough forms. Form into ball and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- The filling: Mix all ingredients in large bowl until well combined. Set filling in refrigerator and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin tins.
- Take dough from refrigerator and pull apart into one inch balls. Press dough into greased muffin tins so dough covers bottom and sides of the tin.
- Take chilled filling out of refrigerator and fill muffin tins/pie crust until filling is even with top of pan. Do not overfill.
- If desired, create lattice top, cut out hearts, stars, or other design from extra pie crust and place on top of filling.
- Bake in oven at 400 for 15 minutes. Decrease temperature to 350 and bake for 20-25 minutes. If crust starts to brown, place foil on top to prevent burning.
- Remove pies from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from muffin tins!