The following agencies are offering free lunches for families in need during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Bloomington District 87
The district will provide bagged meals to any D87 student in a drive-thru format on Wednesday, March 18 through Friday, March 20. The pick-up locations will be:
- Sheridan Elementary School, 1403 W. Walnut St.
- Bloomington High School, 1202 E. Locust St.
Meals will also be delivered at Woodhill Towers.
East Peoria Elementary School District 86
Meals are available for all students at no cost starting Tuesday, March 17 through Friday, March 20 and on Monday, March 30. Pick-up times for the meals will be from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. each day. The meals will be available at the following locations:
- Shute School, 300 Briarbrook Dr.
- Armstrong School, 1848 Highview Rd.
- Wilson School, 300 Oakwood Ave.
- Central Junior High School, 601 Taylor St.
- Richland Community Center, 446 Cass St.
McLean County Unit 5
Cold breakfast and sack lunch “grab and go” meals will be made available to students in need. Meals will not be available during the planned spring break, the week of March 23. Pick-up times will take place Tuesday, March 17 through Friday, March 20 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and also Monday, March 30 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. The pick-up locations include the following:
- Cedar Ridge Elementary, 2808 Breezewood Blvd., Bloomington
- Kingsley Junior High, 303 Kingsley St., Normal
- Sugar Creek Elementary, 200 N. Towanda Ave., Normal
- Pepper Ridge Elementary, 2602 Danbury Dr., Bloomington
- Fairview Elementary School, 416 Fairview St., Normal
If you are unable to access food for your student, please contact your school principal and the district will work to connect you with services.
Morton Community Unit School District 709
The district will be providing meals to students who are eligible during the closure. Distribution details will be released by Tuesday, March 17.
Pekin Community School District 108
Sack lunches will be provided to families who need them. Monday, March 16, there will be three locations for pick up from noon to 2 p.m.
- Edison Junior High School, 1400 Earl St.
- Wilson Intermediate School, 900 Koch St.
- Pekin Housing Authority on Broadway at the Community Center
Peoria Public Schools District 150
The district has established 18 food distribution sites across the city based off high schools. These distribution sites will be open from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday during the days off. This includes the week of spring break and any child 18 years old and younger can pick up meals at these sites.
- Richwoods High School, 6301 N. University St.
- Mark Bills Middle School, 6001 N. Frostwood Pkwy.
- Hines Primary School, 4603 Knoxville Ave.
- Jamieson School, 2721 W Richwoods Blvd.
- Rolling Acres Middle School, 5617 N. Merrimac Ave.
- The Greater Peoria YMCA, 7000 N. Fleming Ln.
- Peoria High School, 1615 North North St.
- Lincoln K-8 School, 700 Mary St.
- Maude Sanders Primary, 1907 W. Forrest Hill Ave.
- Roosevelt Magnet School, 1704 W. Aiken Ave.
- Glen Oak Community Learning Center, 2100 N. Wisconsin Ave.
- First Federated Church, 3601 N. Sheridan Rd.
- Salvation Army, 2903 W. Nebraska Ave.
- Manual High School, 811 S. Griswold St.
- Valeska Hinton, 800 W. Romeo B. Garrett Ave.
- Calvin Coolidge Middle School, 2708 W. Rohmann Ave.
- Harrison Community Learning Center, 2727 West Krause Ave.
- South Side Community Center, 1618 S. Laramie St.
Additionally, the Salvation Army will be doing mobile meals to certain locations throughout the city, including Taft Homes, Harrison Homes, and the River West area.
City of Refuge Ministries in Bloomington
City of Refuge Ministries has made dozens of free sack lunches for families in need. The lunch packs include items like ramen noodles, Easy Mac and chips. The next food giveaway will take place Thursday, March 19 from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. at 401 E. Jefferson St. The lunches will be provided on a first-come, first-serve basis.
McAlister’s Deli in Peoria
McAlister’s Deli is offering free lunch for students during the week. Students in grades K-12 will receive a free turkey and cheese sandwich, chips, applesauce and a cookie. The lunches are available from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Friday. No other purchase is necessary. The deli is located at 4810 N. University St.
Neighborhood House Association in Peoria
Free lunch will be offered to children 18 and younger. The “to-go” lunches will be provided Monday through Friday from noon to 1 p.m. for those in need. The Neighborhood House Association is located at 1020 S. Matthew St.
This story will be updated as more announcements become available.