CARLOCK, Ill. (WMBD) — The McLean County Coroners Office released information Wednesday on the pedestrian fatally struck by a truck on I-74 Tuesday.
McLean County Coroner Dr. Kathy Yoder identified the victim as 57-year-old Richard E. Gaunt, Jr., of Morton.
An investigation from the Illinois State Police (ISP) determined that the driver was traveling eastbound on I-74. Gaunt was outside his vehicle on the right shoulder at milepost 125. He was securing the load on top of his vehicle. For unknown reasons, the driver exited right off the roadway and struck the vehicle and Gaunt.
Yoder said she was called to the scene around mile marker 125 around 3:35 p.m. ISP, Carlock Fire and Rescue, Danvers Police Department, and McLean County Sheriff’s Office were already on scene.
Gaunt was pronounced deceased at the scene around 3:55 p.m.
The driver was charged with failure to reduce speed when approaching a disabled vehicle, failure to change lanes when approaching a disabled vehicle, and having no valid insurance.
The incident remains under investigation by the ISP and the McLean County Coroner’s Office.
- Justin Timberlake gives wheelchair accessible van to family of teen with cerebral palsy
- East Peoria City Council votes to keep base level property tax the same
- Man who allegedly shot at plainclothes Peoria Police officer indicted
- Bradley Hammers Judson in Home Opener Tuesday, 105-32
- 29-year-old indicted for Peoria homicide