PEORIA, Ill. (WMBD) — The National Pan-Hellenic Council of Peoria comprised of black sororities and fraternities plastered billboards in various locations around the city.
There are 10 billboards in total and some can be found in Peoria, Pekin, Creve Coeur, Morton, and East Peoria. Each billboard showcases a different quote such as, ” Your Vote Counts.”
Mary Petersen, the council treasurer and social action chair for the Peoria Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. said everyone did not always have the right to vote and encourage all who are able to take advantage of it.
“People died, people were brutalized, working marching for the right especially for African Americans to be able to vote and we want to make sure that they understand again that it is important,” Petersen said.
The billboards will be posted in those locations across Central Illinois until Nov. 1.
- US adds 245,000 jobs in November as virus threatens economy’s slow comeback
- Bloomington’s downtown to hustle and bustle during First Friday events, virtual tree lighting
- WATCH LIVE: Pritzker, Ezike to give COVID-19 update Friday
- More than 25 people rescued from human smuggling operation in Texas
- Tri-County update shows 356 new cases of COVID-19, 8 additional deaths