BLOOMINGTON, Ill. (WMBD) — A Bloomington man is accused of sexually assaulting two children over the past 10 years and is now facing 32 charges.
Police said 40-year-old Mercedez L. Byrd was arrested on Monday and is facing those charges over two cases.
In one case, he is charged with two counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse and one count of predatory criminal sexual assault of a child.
The other case involves a different child, where he faces 29 more sexual assault charges — 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, three counts of predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, and 16 counts of criminal sexual assault.
Court documents said both victims were under the age of 13. Byrd is set for arraignment on Oct. 16 at 10 a.m.
- Teenager stabbed in Pekin
- Local election officials assure the public ballots are safe from foreign interference
- Dream center to offer mobile showers to the Peoria homeless community
- Who won the Trump-Biden debate? 6 key moments from the final showdown
- Current Peoria mayoral race entirely made up of diverse candidates