The American opioid epidemic sweeps across nearly every demographic across the country resulting in an average of 174 overdose-related deaths each day.
To combat this devastating national crisis, The Overdose Prevention Agency (TOPA) is hosting the Bring Light to the Fight event in Peoria.
Many people are unaware of the resources that can save the lives of those struggling with drug abuse. This event will provide those resources, educate Peoria residents and help those to understand the relevance substance abuse has in the community.
Bring Light to the Fight will feature:
• Naloxone distribution, the nasal spray that works as emergency treatment of a known or suspected opioid overdose
• A portrait reveal highlighting those affected by the opioid epidemic
• Guest speakers to promote the overall education of substance abuse issues
• A silent auction where the money collected will be donated to Invictus Woods Recovery center
• Free sexual health screenings and safe sex kits provided by Central Illinois FRIENDS
• CPR training by the Peoria Fire Department
The event will take place on April 14, 2018, at 1323 SW Adams St from 2 to 4 p.m.