The Overdose Prevention Agency, which is composed of four Bradley University students received a Proclamation from the City of Peoria on April 10, for their work with the opioid crisis in the Peoria area.
TOPA will host the Bring Light to the Fight event on April 14, 2018 from 2 to 4 p.m. at C.T. Gabbert Construction located at 1323 SW Adams St.
Bring Light to the Fight hopes to educate Peoria residents on the opioid crisis and address the stigma surrounding drug abuse. Bring Light to the Fight will be unveiling a mural that links the Peoria community to people in Peoria and surrounding areas who have been affected by substance abuse.
Since the start of 2018, the Peoria Police Department has documented 48 overdoses.
The event will feature:
• Narcan distribution, the nasal spray that works as emergency treatment of a known or suspected opioid overdose
• Guest speakers to promote the overall education of substance abuse issues
• A silent auction where the money collected will be donated to Invictus Woods Recovery center
• Educational booths by Bradley University Physical Therapy students, The Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery, Invictus Woods Recovery Center, and The Human Service Center
• Free sexual health screenings and safe sex kits provided by Central Illinois FRIENDS
• CPR training by the Peoria Fire Department In order to begin a long-term conversation within central Illinois
TOPA welcomes people of all ages to attend our Bring Light to the Fight event.