Peoria County Coroner Jamie Harwood says 46-year-old William Van Dusen died from cold exposure.
Van Dusen, who lived on St. James Street in Peoria, was found on the 900 block of Douglas Street just before 10:00 Sunday morning. There was no significant trauma, though Harwood says he may have fallen on the ice. Toxicology tests are pending. It’s unknown how long Van Dusen may have been there until he was discovered; no foul play is suspected.
Harwood is using this case as a reminder to take extra precautions in the extreme cold:
When the temperatures drop, and the weather is inclement, stay indoors or layer up when you are planning to be outdoors. Hypothermia can onset in as little as 30 minutes causing serious injury and death.