Peoria firefighters say a dog might have caused a house fire Saturday night, that killed two pets in the house.
Crews responded to the 5400 block of Rachael Drive in Peoria, around 7:45 on on Saturday, after the residents reported heavy smoke throughout the house. Firefighters found the fire inside the kitchen and were able to quickly extinguish it.
There were three cats and a dog inside the house. Crews worked to resuscitate the animals with pet oxygen masks, but only one cat survived the heavy smoke.
Investigators think the dog might have turned on the center burner of the stove while trying to jump up for food.
There were not other injuries to the residents of firefighters. The fire caused about $25,000 in damages.