Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Local News

Most of us would love to go through a Winter season without snow, but even those who hate snow the most probably wouldn’t mind a little snow on Christmas Day.

In order for a Christmas to be considered a “White Christmas”, there must be at least 1.0″ of snow on the ground regardless of whether or not snow is actually falling. 

Historically, the odds of having a white Christmas in Central Illinois is not that great. The historical probability of a white Christmas in Central Illinois is between 25% and 40%. In other words, on average Central Illinois sees a white Christmas only 2-4 times in a 10 year period.  For Peoria and Bloomington, the historical probability of having at least 1 inch of snow on the ground is 35% while Lincoln’s historical probability is at 29%. It’s no surprise that the Chicago area fairs better. At Chicago Midway, the historical probability of having 1 inch of snow on the ground is 41%.

Since 2007, the Peoria area has seen four white Christmas’…

2017 – 3.0″

2012 – 1.0″

2010 – 8.0″

2009 – 1.5″

This year, it appears our chances of seeing a white Christmas are slim. While the weather pattern is looking a little more active the week of Christmas, the chance of a storm producing are low. One storm may bring few non-accumulating snow showers to Central Illinois on Sunday, December 23rd.

Perhaps our best chances of seeing a white Christmas this year will come on Christmas Day. A stronger storm may move in on Christmas Day, but even that storm appears to be more rain than snow. If the storm can bring in a little more cold air, then our chances of a white Christmas in 2018 could increase.

Peoria Christmas Day Snow Stats

Historical Probability of a White Christmas: 35%

Heaviest Snowfall: 3.9″ 1909

Deepest Snow Cover: 10.0″ 1909

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Takeout & Delivery Guide

Trending Stories

Latest Local News

More Local News