EAST PEORIA, Ill. — An East Peoria man died after being electrocuted in a Saturday morning tree-trimming accident.
Officials from the East Peoria Fire Department and Tazewell County Sheriff’s Department arrived on the scene in the 300 block of Terminal Street on a report of a truck on fire. Upon arrival, they saw a tree-trimming bucket truck was on fire as a result of contact with an overhead electrical wire.
The man, 62-year-old Gordon Sweatt, was found on the ground next to a tree-trimming bucket truck.
EMS was initially unable to reach Sweatt because the power line touching the truck was still active. Ameren Illinois workers had to come and cut the power. From there, EMS was able to reach him.
Ultimately, Sweatt was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:15 p.m. by the Tazewell County Coroner’s Office. Coroner Charles R. Hanley confirmed the death was from electrocution.
The case remains under investigation by the Tazewell County Sheriff’s Office and the Tazewell County Coroner’s Office.