Family prepares to say goodbye to 10-year-old victim of hit-and-run crash

Local News

PEORIA, Ill. (WMBD) — A Peoria boy who was critically injured in a hit-and-run crash Tuesday night is in critical condition.

Loved ones of 10-year-old Troy Erving gathered outside of OSF Saint Francis Medical Center Thursday afternoon to give an update on his condition.

After preliminary testing, the family said Troy is brain dead. However, further testing is needed before anyone can know the true extent of his condition. WMBD is told those tests would be completed Thursday.

While his family waits in limbo, they said they want the woman behind the wheel of the car to know Troy’s name.

Ariel Ivory, Troy’s mother, describes her son as the “sweetest boy ever, who loved life.” She said he’s an adventurous fifth-grader who loves playing sports.

She said her son was on his way home from a friend’s house when a car hit him and left him on NE Glen Oak Avenue. She said she found out about the accident through a phone call from another family member.

“At this point, I get there and my baby’s on the ground,” Ivory said. “They’re doing CPR, they do it all the way to the hospital and I finally get my baby back.”

She said she’s grateful an off-duty medic was on the scene to help perform CPR on Troy.

Police said 43-year-old Karrie Brunswig was the driver that hit Troy.

Records show Brunswig has a laundry list of traffic violations including previous DUIs, speeding, driving with a revoked license, and disregarding stop sign citations.

“You have all these charges, you have drug charges, alcohol, you’re speeding,” Ivory said. “She shouldn’t have been on the street in the first place for this incident to even happen.”

Brunswig’s currently still sitting in the Peoria County Jail with a $1 million bond for leaving the scene of an accident with injury/death. Police said including her other warrants at 10% each, she’d have to pay $103,465 in order to be released.

Ivory said it isn’t fair that Brunswig even has a bond while her son clings to life.

“My son fighting for his life and y’all giving her a bond to get back out,” Ivory said. “As soon as they let her out, she’s probably going to pop another bottle and get back on the road.”

Ivory said her son put up a fight in the hospital for two days. Now, she wants justice for him.

“I need real justice because this is not fair,” Ivory said. “You’re on the verge of taking my son away from me, and you have no remorse, no feelings or anything.”

Thursday, the family said they’re praying for a miracle, but preparing to say goodbye pending test results. They’re asking the public to keep the family in their prayers while they cling to hope.

“Justice is going to get done,” Troy’s great-great-aunt said. “It will be done.”

Family members said a vigil will be planned for next Tuesday at the site of the crash. They’ve also created a GoFundMe to help the family offset costs.

Troy Erving

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local News

More Local News