MAPLETON, Ill. (WMBD) — A mid-afternoon fire Monday appeared to have destroyed at least half of a rural Mapleton home.
Crews from multiple fire department responded to the scene at 8115 W. Pfeiffer Road, starting at approximately 2:30 p.m. Larry Gilmore, Limestone Fire Chief, said the fire was started by what he called the misuse of fireworks. Gilmore said he was working to confirm at least one injury associated with the fire, possibly from someone running away from the home.
Gilmore said the fire destroyed the left side of the home, while the rest of the home had extensive smoke damage.
With temperatures in the 90’s Monday afternoon, Gilmore said firefighters also dealt with the potential for heat-related illness.
Through mutual aid, crews from Limestone, Bartonville, Logan-Trivoloi, West Peoria, and the Air Guard, among others, responded.
This is a developing story. Check back for further updates.
- With Barrett on Supreme Court, what’s the future of Roe v. Wade and abortion?
- Caterpillar sees modest improvement in third-quarter 2020 sales and revenue
- Bloomington names first Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
- Update: More students with Morton School District will quarantine
- Misleading attack ad omits relevant context, stretches truth to suggest ‘political insiders’ won PPP loans