It’s a busy time of year for local firefighters with a wide range of temperatures firefighters are urging you to be safe.
During the winter heating devices like electric blankets and space heaters are leading causes of home-fire deaths.
As temperatures rise the department is reminding you burning of any kind is not allowed.
“People don’t realizes how fast a fire can take off on them, with wind blowing on it 30 miles per hour, like it does all spring around here, it can really take those grass fires and make them take off quickly,” Asst. Fire Chief Edward Olehy Jr said.
Fire Safety Tips:
-Check your smoke alarms monthly. Only a working smoke alarm can save your life.
-Replace the batteries in your smoke alarms twice a year. When you change your clocks for Daylight Savings, change your batteries
-Install smoke alarms on each level of your home and sleeping areas. Sleep with your bedroom door closed.
-Make sure overnight guests also know your fire escape plan.
-Install a carbon monoxide detector if you have any appliance or device that has a flame – stove, water heater, furnace, fireplace, space heater, etc.
-Do not use your stove or oven to heat your house.