Another case of Legionnaires disease has been confirmed at Illinois Veterans Home Quincy (IVHQ).
The Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA) and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) are reporting a fourth laboratory-confirmed case of the disease.
The resident, who tested positive for Legionnaires, is in stable condition.
Representatives from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) returned to the home in Quincy last week, at the request of IDPH, to provide additional support and guidance. Staff from the CDC are working with IVHQ and IDPH workers to do the following:
- Conduct environmental and epidemiological assessments to identify potential exposure sources
- Augment clinical testing protocols for individuals with respiratory symptoms to include not only testing for Legionella, but also for influenza and other respiratory viruses
- Conduct clinical and environmental sample testing at CDC
- Identify important public health and infection control interventions
- Partner in communications with the local hospital to streamline testing.
In addition to infectious disease control and testing protocols, the teams will continue working to trace potential sources of Legionella bacteria and conduct additional environmental health testing.