Galesburg Fire Department warns of dehumidifier fires

Local News

Photo Credit: DarrenWilliger on YouTube

GALESBURG, Ill. — Malfunctioning dehumidifiers are starting fires all across the United States, the Galesburg Fire Department said.

Recently, Galesburg fire officials responded to a structure fire that had been caused by a dehumidifier, and they said this isn’t the first time. Even if the fire is contained to the dehumidifier, the smoke damage throughout the home can be extensive, dangerous to breathe and expensive to clean, the GFD said.

For years, companies have recalled possibly hazardous dehumidifiers. Consumers should take down the model number on their unit and search to see if it is recalled. If it is, turn it off immediately and contact the company for a repair or refund, officials said.

The dehumidifiers were manufactured by Gree, Midea, and LG Electronics but sold under dozens of brand names, including GE, Frigidaire, Kenmore and Comfort-Aire.

To see if your dehumidifier is recalled, click here.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Takeout & Delivery Guide

Trending Stories

Latest Local News

More Local News