HANNA CITY, Ill. — Peoria County officials are responding to a chemical leak at the Ag-Land FS plant in Hanna City.
The general manager of the plant tells WMBD News a valve broke loose in a tank that was holding Anhydrous Ammonia.
After the spill, officials with the Logan-Trivoli Fire Protection District confirm one person was injured and taken to OSF St. Francis Medical Center.
Peoria County Shierff Brian Asbell said the victim suffered chemical burns.
There is no word on his condition.
Anhydrous Ammonia, when compressed, can act as an ingredient in fertilizer.
According to the CDC, Anhydrous Ammonia is a toxic gas or liquid that is corrosive to skin.
It is also one of the most produced chemicals in the country as it’s used for manufacturing, and agriculture.
The Peoria Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team was called to the scene, contained the leak and replaced the broken valve on the tank.
An all clear was given at 7pm.
During the incident, an emergency alert was sent to neighbors in the area advising them to stay inside.
Sheriff Asbell said Hanna City Glasford Road to Smithville had been blocked off. Eden Road is also seeing blockages at points.
This story will be updated.