Knoxville Vet Service says dog involved in Rapatee house explosion passed away

Local News
62489163_2176577289134614_89852695812243456_n_1560185100739.jpg

RAPATEE, Ill. — The Knoxville Veterinary Service said the dog involved in the Rapatee Sunday morning house explosion that killed two people has died. 

The service said the dog, Maggie, was picked up from the scene unresponsive, in shock, covered in debris and her hair singed. She spent much of Sunday on oxygen while having IV fluids and pain medication initiated.

Tuesday, the service announced Maggie died: 

“She had touched so many lives the past few days and our hearts continue to go out to the family. Many people have donated financially towards the medical care of Maggie; any funds collected in excess will be forwarded on to the family to be used at their discretion. We thank everyone for their concerns and willingness to reach out to help!”

Maggie had initially become responsive and more interactive Monday morning. She had a neck injury and four broken ribs.

The Fairview Fire Department responded to the scene and found a house had exploded and scattered debris in the roadway, power lines, and nearby homes. Area fire departments began to conduct search and rescue operations and extinguish the fire. The house was supplied by a propane tank in the yard and there are no natural gas lines in the area.

Knox County Sheriff David Clague identified the victims as Wanda Swain, who was 77, and her son David Swain Jr., who was 51. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.