Normal Fire urging stovetop safety after recent spike in fires

Local News
Normal Fire Department _-6152699422203821812

NORMAL, Ill. (WMBD) — The Normal Fire department is reminding residents about stovetop safety Friday.

According to Normal Fire Public Information Officer Matt Swaney, three fires in the last five weeks have been caused by appliances or other combustible materials on top of the stove catching on fire. 

In those three fires, the combustible materials on the stovetop were either ignited by a heating element being accidentally turned on or from the heat venting from the oven.

Normal Fire Chief Mick Humer encourages residents to keep away anything that can burn away from stovetops.

“Keep anything that can burn like small appliances, dishtowels, paper bags, or cereal boxes away from your oven and stovetop.  A burner knob can be pushed accidentally, or the heat venting up from the oven can ignite materials on the stovetop,” Humer said.

The Normal Fire Department has several additional kitchen tips to prevent fires:

  • Stand by your pan – Never leave cooking unattended — It only takes a minute for a fire to get out of hand. Don’t leave things cooking on the stovetop unattended and check regularly on the things cooking in the oven.
  • Avoid wearing clothes with long, loose-fitting sleeves that may catch fire easily — If your clothing catches fire, stop, drop to the ground, and roll around to smother the flames.
  • If a pan catches fire on the stove, turn off the burner and cover the pan with a lid. — If something in the oven is burning, turn off the oven, and keep the oven closed.   
  • Don’t be a hero — If you have a fire, and you can’t put it out department, dial 9-1-1 immediately and get your family to safety.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local News

More Local News