PEORIA COUNTY, Ill. (WMBD) — An early morning crash Thursday in rural Peoria County resulted in the death of a local boy.
Lucas Smith, 16, of Norwood, was pronounced dead at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center about 6 p.m. Friday. Peoria County Coroner Jamie Hardwood said Smith was involved in a single-vehicle crash about 2:30 a.m. Thursday.
Emergency crews were called to the 600 block of South Cameron Lane where they found a truck in the westside ditch on its top.
Harwood said it appears Smith was northbound on Cameron Lane, when for an unknown reason, he went into the westside ditch. The truck hit a drainage ditch, rolled over and caught on fire. The coroner said Smith was ejected from the truck.
Smith suffered multiple injuries. The cause of the crash remains under investigation. There will not be an autopsy, but Hardwood said toxicology tests are pending.
- Local health department leaders say COVID-19 cases could increase after Fourth of July celebrations
- Kurt’s Korner for July 7, 2020: trick shots in a parking garage
- Morton School Board using parent input to create return-to-school plan
- Community members rally in front of Peoria Police Department to support law enforcement
- Pekin High School to host graduation ceremony