UPDATE: Peoria homeowner shares details surrounding major gas leak on N. Knoxville

Local News

UPDATE (6:00 p.m.)- Peoria fire officials say a car possibly hitting a gas meter may have caused a major leak Wednesday night.

Wednesday night, Peoria resident Jeanette Harris says she smelled gas in her North Knoxville home, then she noticed an unusual sound.

“I heard this sizzling noise in my dining room where the meters are on the side,” Harris said.

As she went to check the noise outside her home Harris says she smelled something unpleasant.

“That’s when I smelled gas and it took my breath,” Harris said.

After realizing it may have been a gas leak, she tried to get a hold of her neighbor who was inside sleeping at the time.

Without any luck, she called 9-1-1.

“It made me think that the gas had went up and put her to sleep. So I told the fire people please get her out because I was already out,” Harris said.

Crews were able to get Harris’s neighbor out and learned that a car potentially hitting a gas meter may have led to the leak.

The assistant chief for Peoria Fire says if you smell natural gas, call 9-1-1 as soon as possible.

“We’d much rather we show up and it not be much of anything as opposed to not getting called and then you have a much worst emergency,” said Shawn Sollberger, Peoria assistant fire chief.

Harris says she is thankful she was awake, potentially saving herself and her neighbor turned friend.

“If I had went on in and went to bed like she did—-well we would’ve never woke up because i would’ve never knew that was going on the side of the house,” Harris said.


UPDATE (4:30 a.m.) – Peoria Fire Department and Peoria Police Department have reopened the road to normal traffic.


PEORIA, Ill. (WMBD) — The Peoria Fire Department has shut down the area of N. Knoxville and E. Thrush after a major natural gas leak overnight.

Drivers are encouraged to avoid the area as the fire department, Ameren, and the City of Peoria work to shut off the leak.

The initial call came in around 11:00 p.m. Wednesday night. When the fire department arrived to the scene, they found a gas meter sheared off a residence.

Unable to shut off the gas, crews went inside the two-unit apartment to locate a resident and get them out of the dangerous environment. A two-block radius was evacuated due to the high levels of gas in the area.

Crews remain on scene, digging up the area of Knoxville, Thrush, and Arcadia to try and get the gas shut off.

The fire department will remain on scene until the gas is off and brought down to a safe level.

One person was transported to a hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local News

More Local News