PEORIA COUNTY, Ill. (WMBD) — Eight additional COVID-19 cases have been confirmed at the Peoria County jail, according to Sheriff Brian Asbell.
Asbell confirmed the new cases Thursday, bringing the total number of detainees who have tested positive to 29.
The number of detainees that tested negative has not been released. Asbell said the positivity rate and the number of test results are pending.
On Wednesday, Asbell confirmed 14 detainees tested positive for COVID-19.
“In addition to detainees, we currently have 13 employees off due to COVID-related scenarios which include positive tests, awaiting test results or due to required exposure quarantine requirements,” said Asbell, in an email to WMBD News on Wednesday.
Testing is expected to be finished today.
This story originally reported a total of 30 cases in the jail. It has been updated since then to reflect the most accurate total of 29 cases based on confirmation from Asbell.
- Warm & unsettled weather to end the work week
- ISU officials monitoring omicron variant, encouraging booster shots
- Amid shortage, Regional Office of Education #17 hosting sub teacher signup Thursday
- 1 injured after stabbing near Bradley campus
- Illinois Senate and House joint committee focuses on need to expand residential mental health services for children