PEORIA, Ill. (WMBD) — A Peoria County Sheriff’s Deputy, 47-year-old Matthew Hawkins, was indicted on Tuesday.
Hawkins is facing a burglary charge, along with retail theft and official misconduct. Illinois State Police officers arrested Hawkins in late August, you can find our coverage here.
Hawkins allegedly stole alcohol from the Kroger on Lindbergh Road in Peoria, all while wearing his Peoria County Sheriff’s Office deputy uniform.
Sheriff Asbell told WMBD Hawkins is still on unpaid leave and considered an employee until disciplinary action is taken.
Hawkins is set to be arraigned on Thursday.
- Teenager stabbed in Pekin
- Local election officials assure the public ballots are safe from foreign interference
- Dream center to offer mobile showers to the Peoria homeless community
- Who won the Trump-Biden debate? 6 key moments from the final showdown
- Current Peoria mayoral race entirely made up of diverse candidates