PEORIA, Ill. (WMBD) — A Peoria County Sheriff’s Deputy, 47-year-old Matthew Hawkins, was indicted on Tuesday.
Hawkins is facing a burglary charge, along with retail theft and official misconduct. Illinois State Police officers arrested Hawkins in late August, you can find our coverage here.
Hawkins allegedly stole alcohol from the Kroger on Lindbergh Road in Peoria, all while wearing his Peoria County Sheriff’s Office deputy uniform.
Sheriff Asbell told WMBD Hawkins is still on unpaid leave and considered an employee until disciplinary action is taken.
Hawkins is set to be arraigned on Thursday.
- ‘The Andy Griffith Show’ actress Maggie Peterson passes away at 81
- Peoria Christian Seniors Sign College Commitment Letters
- How to donate breast milk during the baby formula shortage
- You can order another batch of free COVID tests from the federal government: Here’s how
- Johnny Cash springs a leak after Arkansas water tower vandalized