WASHINGTON, Ill.- Central School District #51 in Washington will host a Groundbreaking Ceremony at 6 p.m. Thursday to mark the start of construction for an addition and district facility improvements.
The groundbreaking will be held behind Central Intermediate School’s Holford Gymnasium. It’s a way for the school to provide more 21st century learning opportunities and tools.
“It helps us take that next step into providing the best possible education for our students,” said Superintendent Dale Heidbreder.
The newly connected elementary and intermediate schools will feature:
· Connection of two existing buildings via two newly constructed additions
· 18,765 sf Band/Choir Art, and Primary Gym Addition
· 18,870 sf 3 & 4 Grade Addition
· Expanded and updated student media commons at both CPS & CIS
· Expansion of dining commons capacities at both CPS & CIS
· Relocation of district and building administration at CIS including new secured entry sequence
· Various renovation throughout CPS and CIS to create updated and expanded learning spaces
· Expansion of classroom spaces to provide age appropriate learning spaces for all students K-8
“I’m really excited for our kids and I’m excited for our families and the type of experience that they’re going to be able to have going here and being a part of Central,” said Heidbreder.
Amy Johnson, Central 51 Board president said:
“We are thankful for the strong voter support for the referendum and our constituents’ commitment to appropriate educational facilities for our students. Many community nights were held to elicit feedback from the public, and we are confident the final building project will reflect the input that was received.”
Portions of renovated and addition spaces will become available throughout the project, with completion of work slated for start of school fall of 2020.
For more information on the construction project CLICK HERE.