With cold weather gripping Central Illinois, local fire departments are reminding you to be safe when heating your homes.
When using a space heater, officials recommend keeping it away from walls, curtains and flammable objects. When using the heaters and bundling up beneath blankets, be careful and keep the covers away from the heater. They say its vital to turn off any heaters when leaving a room.
“Make sure that it does not have any damage, the cord is in good condition, that you plug it directly into a wall outlet, not into an extension cord or power strip. They’re designed to be plugged directly into wall outlets. Make sure that you never leave it unattended,” said Garry Grugan, Assistant Fire Chief of East Peoria Fire Department.
Heating equipment is the second-leading cause of house fires in the United States.