UPDATE: PEORIA, Ill. (WMBD) — Mission BBQ, a Maryland-based restaurant chain, is expected to open on the site as early as Spring of 2021.
The following is an email statement sent to WMBD.
“MISSION BBQ is coming to Peoria. I can also confirm that is the location. We are looking forward to joining the Peoria Community and expect to open in the Spring of 2021,” said Mission BBQ Brand Manager Linda Dotterer.
A new building will be constructed in place of the old Sterling Family Restaurant.
Previous story found below.
A longtime Peoria staple has been demolished.
The Sterling Family Restaurant on Sterling Ave. has completely been torn down, leaving only the need for crews to clean up the rubble.
The restaurant operated for more than 30 years by Louie Trilikis and was started by Louie and his brother Pano. Louis Trilikis moved to Peoria in 1962 from Greece, following Pano.
The restaurant closed in late-December, after Louis Trilikis received a proclamation from Mayor Jim Ardis. Trilikis decided to retire and not renew the lease on the building.
- LIVE: Pritzker gives COVID-19 update
- Illinois reports 1,759 new COVID-19 cases, 30 coronavirus-related deaths
- Normal police officer finds garage on fire at Towanda and Baugh
- Bloomington apparel designer celebrates store’s grand opening
- Cardinals to travel back home following negative COVID tests