PEORIA, Ill. — The 14-year-old charged for the fatal shooting of another teenager pleaded not guilty in court on Thursday.
Peoria teenager Zaveon Marks is facing two counts of first-degree murder and one count of unlawful possession of a firearm after the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Zarious Fair back in mid-June.
Most recently, Marks was transferred back to adult court for the second time this month after previously being moved back to juvenile court and having his charges temporarily dropped. He first pleaded not guilty in August. Marks’ attorney William Loeffel had asked for his client to be re-arraigned at the end of August. Loeffel filed a petition, citing several statutes that he said should be considered when considering possible sentences for Marks.
Peoria County judge Frank Ierulli last Friday said Marks had the “propensity of extreme violence” and there was not enough reason to keep the teenager in juvenile court.
His scheduling conference is set for 9 a.m. Oct. 17, and his jury trial is set to begin at 9 a.m. Oct. 28.
Between the two murder charges and one unlawful possession charge, Marks could face more than 60 years in prison.