PEORIA, Ill. — The case for the 14-year-old suspect arrested for a summer homicide has been transferred back to adult court for the second time this month.
In court Friday, Peoria County judge Frank Ierulli said the suspect, Zaveon R. Marks, had the “propensity of extreme violence” and there was not enough reason to keep the teenager in juvenile court.
Earlier this month, charges against the 14-year-old murder suspect were dropped after a hearing to move his case from juvenile to adult court. He was facing two counts of first-degree murder and one count of unlawful possession of a firearm after the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Zarious Fair on June 12.
Prosecutors previously said Marks’ case would be transferred back to juvenile court after his attorney, William Loeffel, asked for his client to be re-arraigned at the end of August. Loeffel filed a petition, citing several statutes that he said should be considered when considering possible sentences for Marks.
Prosecutors went back to square one, and the judge ultimately said the murder was extreme enough to be deemed worthy for adult court.
“This young man has the ability to control himself when he chooses to,” Ierulli said.
A detective said on Friday that an April 9 group text, including Marks and other suspect 18-year-old Doyle Nelson, discussed street robberies and getting “more poles,” or guns.
Nelson was also charged with two counts of first-degree murder. The Peoria Police Department is investigating Fair’s death as an armed robbery. Nelson admitted he was at the scene of the shooting in the 700 block of East Frye Ave., but denied taking part in the shooting or robbery.
The 14-year-old will still be held at the county juvenile detention center, but will appear in felony court.
Marks will next appear in court on Oct. 17. His bond has been set at $2 million.