Peoria, Ill. – With temperatures rising across the state, Illinois American Water is reminding customers to use water wisely.
During the summer months, water plays a vital role in staying hydrated and staying cool.
Illinois American Water offers the following tips to use water more efficiently:
- Water your lawn only when it needs it. If you walk across the grass and it leaves footprints, it’s time to water.
- Water your outdoor plants in the early morning or evening. As much as 30% of water can evaporate when watering midday.
- Clean your sidewalk, driveway or patio by using a broom instead of a hose.
- Ditch the hose for your car, too – washing with a bucket and sponge can save up to six gallons a minute.
- Make sure to run dishwashers and washing machines only when they are full – you can also adjust the water level of the washing machine to match the load size.
- Keep a pitcher of tap water in the refrigerator – this helps reduce plastic bottle waste, and means you’ll have cold water available on hot days
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth to save up to 8 gallons a day.
- Check your toilet, faucets and pipes for leaks regularly.