(UPDATE — 11:38 a.m.) — Peoria Police Public Information Officer Semone Roth confirmed a man has been arrested in connection to the strangulation death of 24-year-old J’Naysia Marie Hobbs Wednesday morning.

Roth said police arrested 28-year-old Tahir Goodman Thursday. He is facing charges of first-degree murder and aggravated arson connected to Hobbs’ death.

At this time, the Peoria County Jail is holding Goodman.

Records show Goodman has been arrested twice for domestic battery since 2017, with the most recent arrest being on Oct. 20. That case is still open.

A GoFundMe has been set up by Love Hobbs, J’Naysia’s mother, to help pay for funeral costs.

Home on Virginia Avenue where the body of J’Naysia Marie Hobbs was found.

(UPDATE — 3:15 p.m.) — Peoria Fire Chief Jim Bachman confirmed the cause of the Wednesday morning fire to be arson.

Bachman also said the fire department requested assistance from the Office of the State Fire Marshall (OSFM) for an accelerant detecting K-9 team.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

PEORIA, Ill. (WMBD) — Peoria County Coroner Jamie Harwood said 24-year-old J’Naysia Marie Hobbs did not die due to Wednesday’s fire, but instead, “died by strangulation by another, and was deceased prior to the fire.”

The update comes a day after Hobbs was identified as a victim of the fire. Due to the extent of the fire damage, Harwood used Hobbs’ dental records to confirm her identity.

The Peoria Police Department is now investigating the case as a homicide.

According to Peoria Battalion Chief Lore Baxter, the fire happened at 1021 E. Virginia Ave. at approximately 5:09 a.m. Fire crews received reports of the residential structure fire with residents still inside.

When fire crews arrived, they found fire and heavy black smoke coming from a window on the first floor of the home. Crews used an attack line to extinguish the fire and search the home.

Crews found Hobbs inside the home during the search.

Additional crews helped with the search and checked for hidden fire and hot spots. Meanwhile, Ameren was on the scene to secure utilities.

One firefighter was injured, and firefighters reported an estimated total of $60,000 in damage to the home.

Although a Peoria Fire Department Investigator was called to the scene, they were unable to determine the cause and origin of the fire.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.