CHICAGO (AP) — Fourteen people, including five children, were killed as more than 100 people were shot in a wave of gunfire in Chicago over the Father’s Day weekend.
Those shootings produced the city’s highest number of shooting victims in a single weekend this year. Among the victims was 3-year-old Mekhi James, who police said was fatally shot Saturday as he was in a car with his father in the south Austin neighborhood.
Police Superintendent David Brown says police are working to track down those responsible for the violence in several Chicago communities. He says “gangs, guns and drugs” are the common thread in the shootings.
- Man stabbed in the neck early Wednesday morning
- Roberts guides Dodgers to 1st World Series title in 32 years
- Peoria city council debates ways to fund public safety pensions
- Protests, looting in Philadelphia after police fatally shoot Black man Walter Wallace Jr.
- Prep Basketball Coaches Disappointed Sport Moved to ‘High Risk,’ Await IHSA Decision Wednesday