CHICAGO (AP) — Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker is contributing an additional $51.5 million to a ballot initiative committee backing his constitutional amendment that would dump the state’s flat-rate income tax structure in favor of one that takes a bigger bite from the wealthy.
The contribution from the billionaire governor comes about six months after he contributed $5 million to the committee called Vote Yes for Fairness. In November, voters will be asked whether the state constitution should be amended to allow a graduated tax structure instead of the current flat-rate structure.
- Students design, hope to build an accessible park in Peoria Heights
- Wheels O’ Time Museum reopens after closing for the entire 2020 season
- Motherhood is saving a threatened species, the American Bison
- Dr. Fauci: Masks may be seasonal after the pandemic
- Baffert banned from Kentucky Derby after horse tests positive