If you are caught outside in a storm...
NO safe place outside exists during a thunderstorm, but these tips would help reduce your risk of being struck by lightning...
- Avoid open fields and the top of a hill/ridge
- Stay away from tall trees/objects
- Stay away from water, wet items, and metal objects
NOTE: A tent or a picnic shelter will NOT protect you from lightning.
When you are inside during a thunderstorm...
- Don't touch electrical equipment or electronics plugged into the wall
- Stay off corded phones and avoid plumbing
- Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off porches
- Do not lie on concrete floors or lean against concrete walls
When you are inside a car during a thunderstorm...
You are safe from lightning inside a hardtop car as long as you do the following:
- Close all windows
- Don’t touch metal objects inside the car
- Pull over on the side of the road & turn on your hazard lights