Before a tornado...
- Make sure all family members know the tornado safe location in your home
- Store an emergency kit in your safe location
- Identify where to go if you are at work or school
- Make a family communications plan
Preparing your pets...
- Get your pets ready at the first sign of an approaching storm
- Put your dog on a leash and your cat in a carrier
- Move all pets to the shelter well ahead of the storm
- Include pet food and medicines in your emergency kit
During a tornado:
- Go to a safe location away from windows on the lowest level of a sturdy building
- If you are caught outside, get in a car, buckle up, and try to drive to the closest sturdy shelter. NEVER seek shelter under a bridge, and only lie flat in a ditch as a last resort.
- Go to a secure storm shelter if you are in a mobile home
After a tornado:
- Beware of downed power lines, broken gas lines, and sharp/dangerous debris
- Avoid damaged areas
- Stay off the roads to allow rescue workers clear passage
- Follow instructions from local officials