Ashley Simper, MS, RD, LDN
OSF HealthCare Saint Francis Medical Center
Illinois Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Media Spokesperson
Greek Eggplant Burgers
Jazz up your eggplant with this Greek-style burger!
1 eggplant, sliced into ½ inch rounds
1 ½ cups crushed Original Multi-Grain Sun Chips®
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
8 whole wheat hamburger buns
5.3 ounce container non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
½ teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons chopped cucumber
Red onion slices
24 Kalamata olives, sliced
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
½ cup hummus
1. Preheat oven to 400º F. Spray baking sheet and raised metal rack with cooking spray.
2. Place Sun Chips®, eggs, and flour in three separate shallow bowls. Stir in the garlic powder, parsley, thyme, and oregano to the crushed sun chips.
3. With each of the eggplant slices: first coat the eggplant slice in flour, then dip the slice in the beaten egg, lastly coat the slice with sun chips and place on raised rack.
4. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake another 10 minutes.
5. For the tzatziki sauce: combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
6. For assembly: place 1 eggplant slice on a hamburger bun and add desired toppings.
Per 1 eggplant burger
Total Fat: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 608 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 47 g
Dietary Fiber: 9 g
Sugars: 7 g
Protein: 15 g