WMBD Morning Show
Ashley Simper, MS, RD, LDN
OSF Saint Francis Medical Center
Central Illinois Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Media Spokesperson
Smoky Black Bean and Corn Taquitos with Chipotle Cilantro Dip
A baked version of the deep fried classic with a kick!
½ cup finely chopped red onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup canned no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper, seeded
1 teaspoon adobo sauce
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup shredded low fat Mexican cheese
16 corn tortillas
½ cup light sour cream
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
1 Tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1/8 teaspoon salt
Sprigs of fresh cilantro
½ cup diced tomato
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat and coat the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the minced onion and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in the minced garlic, black beans, corn, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cumin, and salt, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat and fold in the shredded cheese, until just combined.
4. Warm the corn tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds. Lay the tortillas out on a flat surface. Place 2 Tablespoons of filling just off center in each tortilla. Roll tightly, and place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Spray the tops of the taquitos evenly with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden and crispy.
6. Top each taquito with 1 Tablespoon diced tomato and sprig of cilantro.
7. In a small bowl, mix all dip ingredients together. Serve with taquitos.
Per 2 taquitos with 1 Tablespoon dipping sauce
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 170 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 32 g
Dietary Fiber: 6 g
Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 7 g